Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rebooting For the New Year

It comes without saying (although I am going to say it anyways): The New Year is a time to erase old mistakes and start over. A time to reset, and start over. At least that is how I see it. I told myself this year I would not resolve to lose weight. I don't need to but the pressure to be thin in LA is always at the back of my mind and sometimes it gets the better of me. So, no weight loss resolutions, but I do resolve to work on being the healthiest me I can be, both off and on the bike. This is my first off-topic sort of post, but if you are riding you bike often, I hope that you are doing your body justice by being the healthiest you that you can be.

It was right after new years that I was scrolling through Netflix and came across Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead. I love documentaries and enjoy learning more about health and nutrition and if you are trying to think of ways to get yourself to a healthy place, I recommend it. 

I find it touching to watch someone as they endure the struggle of a major life change, such as a major weight loss. It's a lot of work. I was 35 pounds heavier when I graduated college and immediately entered the struggle of weight loss. I was young with no nutrition related guidance and trying to figure it out on my own without support. I eventually discovered Weight Watchers and it forever changed my life. They taught me how to eat and with that simple change I managed to drop 20 pounds alone. I've carried the knowledge I learned with me all these years and, although I no longer follow the program, I have been able to maintain and keep the balance.

Last year I saw two bouts of strep throat, among several other ailments. My body was full of poisonous antibiotics that felt as though they ripped the insides of my stomach apart. After watching Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead, I was inspired to attempt "juicing". Being in overall good health with no weight to lose, I opted for their 3-day New Year, New You! reboot because, to be honest, I thought there was no way I was going to survive more than 3-days of a juice only regime. I need to chew!

To properly prepare for a reboot, they advise you to slowly ween yourself off of items such as caffeine, meat, and processed foods. I didn't quite do that. I actually did the opposite. The day before I started my 3-day reboot, I went to the farmer's market, loaded up on 3 days worth of fruits and veggies, set up the Breville juicer, rode my bike 20 miles, then went out for dinner and drinks for the girls. That meal consisted of curly fries and a raspberry vodka seven up as an appetizer, fish and chips and another raspberry vodka seven up as the main course, followed by a few bites of bread pudding and vanilla ice cream. I thought I was going to have to be rolled out of there. Oh! And then there was the most amazing watermelon jalapeno for dessert. Clearly I didn't take the first step as seriously as I should have and I do recommend you follow it exactly. My 3 days went like this:

DAY 1:

This happened every 15 minutes. ALL. DAMN. DAY.
How am I ever going to make it to Day 2?
Get out of my face or I will BITE YOU!!!!

DAY 2:
Stop yelling at me!!!!
I don't know if I am coming or going... 

'Nuff said.


DAY 3:

I have to say, after the 3 days, I feel AMAZING! I've cut my caffeine intake back 90% and have more energy then I've had in a long time. I'm feeling so great that I am going to try to adapt more of a macrobiotic diet and limit the amount of poultry and seafood I take in. My main concern is having enough energy for my rides, but as I learn more about this eating plan I am sure I will find ways to adapt.

My first attempt. Apples, beets, carrots and greens!


Stay healthy, eat clean, and pedal on Lady Pedalers!

No comments:

Post a Comment