Friday, December 7, 2012

Cold Weather Riding Blues

It's getting cold out and it's time for me to start layering up. I am not a fan of cold weather (it's one of the reasons I moved from my hometown in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada to Sunny (and warm almost all the time) Los Angeles. By my hometown's standards, Fall/Winter in LA is like Summer/Spring in Canada. But I've been here 13 years now and I've adapted all too well. So what on earth do I need to keep myself warm? Honestly at first I didn't know, so I borrowed Rob's base layer shirt, knee warmers and windbreaker, mixed with my usual jersey and bib, and threw on a pair of Pearl Izumi arm warmers that I bought for when I did my September ride around Lake Tahoe. It worked, but I realized I need my own things, designed for my body.

For instance, I used his Pearl Izumi knee/leg warmers. They did a great job at keeping me warm but the bad at the top cut into my thigh and not only created a hideous indent in my leg but the pressure it put around my thigh at the band was distracting and messing with my pedal stroke. I get why the band is there, to hold them up, but they are not lady friendly! I don't have big thighs either. Pearl Izumi, what gives???

A had a similar situation with the Pearl Izumi arm warmers, but it wasn't nearly annoying and didn't affect my comfort level on the bike. The only time they became a problem was when I got a flat tire. It took over 30 minutes to get that tire changed (something I need to learn to do - but I did learn a bike tire makes a horrible hula-hoop) and in that time, as my arms got colder, the arm warmers slowly began to slide down. I don't see this being a big problem in the future, assuming I learn how to change a flat in 5 minutes...regardless, I'll still wear them. They do what I need them to do.

So what options do we have to stay warm? Long sleeve base layers, windbreakers, jackets, long pants, tall compression socks,  shoe covers and caps! Oh My! Wait. Assuming I bought one of each, I am looking at $600, plus another $50 or so in tax. Hmm... yeah that isn't going to happen. Oh Rob...?

So maybe I don't need ALL these things. Breaking down how I felt during my ride the other night, I am definitely thinking the first items on my MUST HAVE List are:
  1. Shoe or toe covers ($35-$50). Who knew my cycling shoes had little air vents in them? My poor piggies are FREEZING!
  2. Headbands to cover your ears or a cap ($17-$40).
  3. Windbreaker or Jacket, something light to break the wind, maybe with a little liner to keep in the warmth ($70-$200)

After the essentials, my WISH LIST OF WANTS would be:
  1. Short and long sleeve fancy base layer (for now I will use whatever is in the t-shirt drawer)
  2. Long cycling pants with chamois (for now I use my favorite Pearl Izumi Elite Women's bib with a pair of Target Dry Fit workout pants over top)
  3. Long sleeve jersey. Why not? I'm a girl. I like options!

Items I ALWAYS ride with and will NEVER be caught without (100 degrees or 40)
Mile 55 and I was feeling it. I look so serious!
But I'm wearing my LAS helmet, Pearl Izumi Elite bib and
arm warmers, my gloves and my Oakley's. I'm ready to roll!
  1. Gloves. Originally I started with fingerless gloves so everyone could see my pretty nails but after I crashed I opted for the full finger gloves. Safe hands are pretty hands! Check out my nails off the bike.
  2. Cycling bottoms with a chamois (my bib of choice is Pearl Izumi's Women's Elite. Remember, Love Your Lady Parts!
  3. Oakley sunglasses (or comparable). I have cut my eye open once before (in a non-biking related accident) and ever since then I love to keep them protected. No glasses, no riding.
  4. Most important - MY LAS HELMET! Got to keep the head safe. I don't care how much it costs, I want the safest because, damn it! My noggin is worth it.

Tell me about the items you can't ride without, and Pedal on, Lady Pedalers!



No comments:

Post a Comment