Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tuesday Night Lights

Tuesday is my new favorite night of the week. I started riding more regularly with the H&S Bicycles Ladies Group and it's filling a void that I have been craving to be filled! It's more like a Bikin' and Bitchin' sort of night, well at least for me. AND I LOVE IT. Sometimes it is not about pace or getting the fastest Strava time, sometime we just need to talk, vent and practice the art of harmless gossip! 

Before the group I would ride alone, or occasionally with Rob, Boyfriend and Bike Shop Owner Extraordinaire. I love to ride with him but I always feel guilty for holding him back. This is his sport, his passion, and he does well. I'm new, slow, occasionally lack good form and sometimes put my front tire on backwards (it happens, okay. I'm not ashamed!). I appreciate his patience but I wonder how he tolerates me on the bike. Sometimes I annoy myself! If I am tackling a hard climb I will never quit, but if I am struggling you better believe you will hear mean bitching and moaning the whole way! For example, the second time I rode La Tuna Canyon, I rode with some of the H&S Ladies. We left at a different time then the guys, and they eventually caught us and beat up the hill. Boyfriend Rob was night enough to come back down and ride up the hill AGAIN with me. However this time he did the whole damn thing while doing a wheelie!! A freakin' wheelie! I could barely breathe and thought I was either going to throw up or pass out and there he was, making it all look like a walk in the park. I love the man but COME ON

I'm a single mom (well single mom in a relationship), I work full-time (in TV Production no less: 10-12 hour work days anyone?) and I'm trying to make time for it all. If I could ride 5 days a week, I would, but it's not going to happen, at least not with this schedule. Long gone are my Friday nights and I couldn't even tell you the last time I stayed up past 10pm. It's hard to find time to ride but Tuesday, Tuesdays are my saving grace and I will do what I can to make it happen. Don't get me wrong, I hate riding at night. When the lights are out I can barely see a foot in front of me and I'm always paranoid I am going to miss seeing something on the road that might take me out. But it is all worth it! Sure, we could be hanging out at the bar, sipping cocktails, but this is a MUCH better way to spend time with your friends. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel like I am "exercising". I gossip and vent, and burn 500 calories. I'll take it!

With these night rides, it's crucial that you be prepared.  I'm not. Ha! But that's okay, because that is what my NEXT blog post will be about. Stay tuned ladies, I am going to scope out the shop tonight and make a Fall/Winter Night Riding Wish List!

In the meantime, if you're a Lady Pedaler out there riding alone, find yourself a group to ride with. It's will change your riding experience completely (you'll find yourself riding more and pedaling harder). H&S Bicycles ( be sure to LIKE it on facebook ladies!!) created a group based out of the shop and we always welcome new riders. Riders range from brand spanking newbie cyclists to kick ass super fast riders who I admire and long to keep up with their pace. Trust me, you'll fit in just fine. If you live somewhere far, far away from us, check your local shops, or even try Meetup.com to see if there is a group out your way. And if there isn't? START ONE.

Pedal on, Ladies!





No comments:

Post a Comment